Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

PLN, Here I come!

I have been working towards building my personal learning network for three years. The biggest obstacle that I face is myself.

Every so often, I clear my feed-reader, spend a little time on Twitter, and say that I am going to get out there. Sometimes I even post a blog entry about the fact that I am going to start blogging again. Well, I read parts of my feed-reader for a few days. Twitter usually lasts a few days longer than that. Then I get busy, and I let it all drop for a while.

It is hard to build an consistent relationships with people without being consistent myself.

The other thing that slows me down is the temptation to lurk. It is so easy to spend all my time reading blogs and tweets that I sometimes have to remind myself to respond. You can't grow your PLN if nobody knows you are there! A conversation works two ways and you need to hold up your end if it is going to go anywhere.

So, here I am, ready to start again, but with a few differences.


  1. I am planning to build a habit. Instead of re- engaging haphazardly, I intend to build a habit that I can continue. 15 minutes a day. At least one blog post a week.  Once participation is a habit, it will be natural to find time for it.
  2. New outlook, new blog. I have started this blog in a symbolic gesture of putting the old habits behind me. This is a blog I intend to keep up with.
  3. I have already begun interacting with more people on Twitter. The next step is to comment on more blogs. Step 1: complete a blog post for the PLN Challenge and post a comment about it on that blog!

Next year, many teachers will be looking to me for leadership in technology integration.  I need a strong PLN that I can interact with in order to manage my personal growth as a teacher.

I'm off and running, PLN, here I come!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Me as well. I also keep on losing myself in just reading and lurking around and this is the third time this year I am making a pledge to myself that I need to be more consistent. Hopefully we can build a PLN that will cheers us on! I hope to see you out there soon again.
Best regards

Kimberly said...

I have similar troubles with consistency. I know the challenge will help us both!

Theresa Allen said...

What a great attitude and goal! It sounds like you're well on you way. Glad to have connected and hope to learn more from you!

Theresa

Sue Waters said...

Spending 15 minutes a day is a great way to get started. Excellent to hear you are interacting more on Twitter.

Best of luck
Sue!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Meacher's Meanderings